Now that you have access to our family device, it is important for us to talk about staying safe online.
Why talking about this is important
In this guide you will:
- Have the first conversation about what digital safety means.
- Build a relationship of trust and openness for ongoing conversation.
- Take an online course and/or consider establishing family safety rules and guidelines together.
- Start developing your child’s understanding of when to ask for help or involve an adult when something happens online.
What to expect from your kid
If you haven’t already talked to kids about digital safety, it’s possible that they may not have even heard the term before. However, some schools may incorporate digital safety information. Even if kids may have heard about some aspects already, digital safety covers a wide spectrum of topics and there is always more to learn. Every family is different.
How to start talking
- They begin using your devices without direct supervision.
- They want to download a new game or app.
- You notice that they’ve watched several videos in a playlist on YouTube.
- They are issued a laptop or tablet at school.
- They begin asking for their own device.