Has anyone tried to talk to you in your games?
Starting to Make “Friends” Online
Why talking about this is important
In this guide you will:
- Help your child understand that people and situations online aren’t always as they seem.
- Talk to your child about what not to share with people they don’t know in real life.
- Teach your child to talk to a trusted adult if someone makes them uncomfortable.
What to expect from your kid
Kids are likely forthcoming and willing to share at this age. Balance the conversation with both the good and the bad about online interactions, as you navigate various levels of access to online friends together. This includes talking to an adult if something makes them uncomfortable, even if it’s someone they know.
How to start talking
- Playing their first game with their friends online
- Asking you to download a new app or game for them
- They start asking about when they can have social media platforms