How do you feel about me installing a [monitoring app] on your phone/tablet?
Screen Time & Online Monitoring
Why talking about this is important
In this guide you will:
- Talk to your child about why limiting screen time is important to keep them healthy
- Build trust with your child by having transparent conversations
- Talk to your child about how monitoring apps protect them
What to expect from your kid
Your child may be comfortable with monitoring apps, but they may also feel like you don’t trust them, or feel annoyed that you have controls on their device. Regardless of what feelings these conversations stir up, role modeling this level of transparency and open communication is essential to your child’s wellbeing.
How to start talking
- When they begin using shared devices.
- They begin talking about wanting their own phone or tablet.
- When shopping for a phone or tablet.
- Walk them through the settings and what you’ll be looking at.