How often do you talk to people online?
What is Grooming?
Why talking about this is important
In this guide you will:
- Have an open dialogue and talk to your child about what it means to trust someone.
- Proactively teach your child how to recognize red flags and what to do if someone is weird or mean to them online.
- Create a safe space and make sure your child knows they can always come to you.
What to expect from your kid
Your child may have become used to talking to people online — friends, grandparents, etc — and therefore might be quick to trust other people, without seeing any potential dangers. Walk them through possible signs that a person online is not trustworthy.
How to start talking
- After you FaceTime with a friend or family member.
- When they mention playing a game online with their friends.
- When they ask you to download a new game for them that has chat functionality.
- When they are watching videos that include comment functionality.