Have you ever heard of consent?
Why talking about this is important
In this guide you will:
- Learn about consent as a life skill.
- Understand why it is important to start talking about it early.
- Develop practical ways to teach your child to practice consent both online and offline.
What to expect from your kid
Your child may have heard about consent at school or on TV, but it may be their first time learning about it. Lead by example, show them how you practice consent both online and offline in your daily life. If they don’t know or are unsure, encourage them to ask questions like, “Is it ok if I post this picture of us?” or “Are you comfortable with this?”.
How to start talking
- Asking for and giving permission before hugs.
- Sharing toys with friends.
- When they say no to having their picture taken.
- Asking for consent when you share images of them online.
- When someone else shares a photo of them without their knowledge.