What is your favorite thing to do online?
Digital Safety: An Ongoing Conversation
Why talking about this is important
In this guide you will:
- Take an online course and/or consider signing a family safety contract together.
- Let your child know that you are always there for them as they are exploring online.
- Ensure your child knows to go to trusted adult if someone makes them uncomfortable or unsafe.
What to expect from your kid
Schools may be covering digital safety or digital citizenship more frequently, but what your child uses the internet for at school may be different than at home. Explaining how to use the internet responsibly can help them in both settings. There are many different types of caregivers and family schedules, so this may look different for everyone.
How to start talking
- They begin asking for their own device.
- They want to download a new app.
- They begin playing multiplayer games with friends or strangers.
- They tell you about a friend or someone at school seeing something weird online.
- They begin spending more time on devices.