What do family members use their devices or social media for?
Start Talking About Social Media & Platforms
Why talking about this is important
In this guide you will:
- Understand general best practices related to social media and gaming platforms.
- Help children understand how setting limits keeps them safe.
- Validate their feelings so your child knows that you have their best interest at heart and to encourage honest conversations in the future.
What to expect from your kid
Kids at this stage tend to be very literal in their thinking. Clear language about what is safe/unsafe about apps and gaming platforms gives them a better understanding of when to ask an adult for help. Encouraging them to ask questions creates a more open dialogue and you can always come back to the conversation later if they aren’t ready to share.
How to start talking
- They ask to use a shared device.
- They have been watching / engaging on a device for an extended period of time.
- They ask to download a new game or app on a shared device.